I don’t know why but when I was younger I was not a fan of carrot cake. Now it is one of my very favorites! My oldest son and husband absolutely love carrot cake and my husband said this was one of the best he had ever tasted. My husband is brutality honest so when he tells me it is really good I know it is true. I substituted butter or oil with applesauce and it turned out great and is better for you! This recipe used Gluten Free all purpose flour but will work with regular flour too. Also, I made mine into cupcakes but this recipe will work for a cake too.
2 1/2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup applesauce
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
6 large carrots or 8 medium
1 1/2 cups pecans
Store bought GF cream cheese icing or make your own.
1. Preheat oven 350°
2. Peel and Grate Carrots (I used my food processor to grate)
2. Mix all dry ingredients. GF Flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and sugars.
3. Finely Chop 1 cup of pecans.
3. Add applesauce, eggs, vanilla, grated carrots, and chopped pecans. (Save about 1/4 cup of grated carrots for toppings)
4. Pour batter in cupcake cups until cup is 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let cool completely then frost.
7. Crush 1/2 cup of pecans.
8. Sprinkle grated carrots and crushed pecans on top of each cupcake.
*Makes 24 cupcakes